Based on the information above, Centers of Information and Consultation for Women with disabilities (PIK-P2D) have important roles in accommodating the needs of women with disabilities, especially relating to information inquiries. Without adequate information, it is hard to imagine how women with disabilities can have comprehensive understanding about their rights and how they can advocate for themselves to gain better access to all resources. Therefore, this paper would like to give some recommendations to Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection of Indonesia and other stakeholders to advance the position of women with disabilities in society.
- The Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection must create and implement policy to use universal design standards and accessibility facilities in the establishment of Centers of Information and Consultation for Women with Disabilities wherever they are located. This procedure is important to ensure people with disabilities can easily and independently access all services provided by the Center. Some examples of facilities are ramps for wheelchair users, plenty of visual signs and instructions to assist the deaf follow the service flow, Braille materials for blind people, accessible footpaths outside the Center, bus stops nearby etc.
- Add a reservation mechanism in Standard Operating Procedure of PIK-P2D for clients before coming to Center of Information and Consultation for Women with Disabilities. This mechanism is helpful to prepare the Center for any needs required by women with disabilities like sign language or an interpreter or Braille materials. Also, it can be a solution to overcoming the limit of budgets. Instead of providing that kind of assistance all day every day, the assistance can be provided only exactly when the assistance is required.
- Enhance the job descriptions of Facilitating Division in Center of Information and Consultation for Women with Disability to do affirmative action in cooperation with Indonesian Association of Women with Disability (HWDI) to improve the outreach. Due to the mobility and financial barriers faced by most women with disability to access the Center, PIK-P2D needs to hold some regular joint activity with them in some places where they usually come together. In some occasions like Arisan or pengajian can be potential moments to give information about women with disabilities issues and serve any consultation on the spot.
- The Center of Information and Consultation for Women with Disabilities (PIK-P2D) enhance the promotion of services in mass media like local radio and television stations. This strategy is aimed to increase the number of people in society who recognize the existence of this Center.
- Make some partnerships with citizen media which have their main concern in disability issue like Kartunet.com and Solider to disseminate information relating to women with disability. This partnership will open more opportunities to serve women with disabilities within their own community.
- Cooperate with Ministry of Communication and Information to build an online free call and sms center to serve any information request and consultation relating to women with disabilities. This call and sms center should be able to access all data banks in local PIK-P2D across Indonesia to provide one entrance service.
- Cooperate with the Ministry of Social Affairs to hold Gender Focal Point training to social workers as employment recruiters and trainers in Vocational Training Units for people with disabilities to help them think more about gender perspectives. This training would ensure that women with disabilities get proper skills and jobs based on their competency, so that they gain better incomes.
- Build Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between The Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and child Protection, The Ministry of Social Affairs, and The Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration to give more attention for women with disabilities relating to employment in regular Job Fairs held in national and local level.
- Create and implement a policy to build intensive networks and partnerships between Center of Information and Consultation for Women with Disabilities (PIK-P2D) to all stakeholders relating to gender and disability issues. This policy aims to guarantee the development of an integrated network among service providers and DPOs to work together hand in hand to accommodating the needs of women with disabilities.
10. Create and implement policy to allocate separated budget to supporting referral system to service providers and DPOs as partners of Center of Information and Consultation for Women with Disability (PIK-P2D). This policy aims to cover any cost made to follow up cases referred from PIK-P2D.
- Pengalaman Pertama pakai AirAsia ke Kuala Lumpur
- Cara Belanja Lebih Murah di Lazada, Bukalapak, dan Tokopedia
- Ahok “Sakit Gigi”, Umpan Anies tak Digigit
- mempersiapkan Peserta Jambore IT Nasional untuk Remaja Disabilitas 2016
- Interaksi Petugas Kesehatan dengan Penyandang Disabilitas di Fasyankes